80 Awesome Sea Quotes and Captions You Should Read
July 27, 2021
The Best Sea Quotes and Captions
There is something about the word ‘sea’ that allows an immediate sense of calm to wash over me.
I can’t help envisioning myself staring out at the ocean on a summer day and smelling the sea salt while my hair blows back and forth in the sea breeze. Add in a picnic on the sand with a French baguette and some brie cheese on a weekend afternoon and it’s like my mind is guiding me on my own mediation through imagination.
I’m curious. What is it that you picture when you think of the sea?
I have written about quotes pertaining to the ocean and vacation before; my beach quotes post is a popular article. But, I noticed that some of you were looking specifically for sea quotes and sea captions. That is why I decided to make a post specifically dedicated to quotes about the sea and captions for the sea.
It’s interesting. At the time, I hadn’t even thought that it might be prudent to separate these posts. However, the sea, the ocean, the beach, and the shore — each word brings back a completely different memory — so it makes absolute sense that anyone researching quotes about any one of these terms would be looking for something more specific.
If you would like further inspiration or quotes that pertain more to the beach, definitely take a look at these beach quotes in my post entitled 30 Best Beach Quotes You Need to Read.
Quotes about the Sea
1. “Smell the sea and feel the sky. Let your soul and spirit fly.” – Van Morrison
2. “Take me to the ocean. Let me sail the open sea. To breathe the warm and salty air and dream of things to be.” – Erica Billups
3. “I’m pretty sure my birthstone is a sea shell.” – Unknown
4. “The sound and smell of the sea cleanses my soul.” – Unknown
5. “I feel we are all islands – in a common sea.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
6. “I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea.” – Alain Gerbeault
7. “We dream in colors borrowed from the sea.” – Unknown
8. “The sea! the sea! the open sea! The blue, the fresh, the ever free!” – Bryan W. Procter
9. “The sea is a desert of waves, a wilderness of water.” – Langston Hughes
10. “You can never cross the ocean until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Christopher Columbus
11. “Dance with the waves, move with the sea. Let the rhythm of the water set your soul free.” – Christy Ann Martine
12. The first “I believe in the ocean curing all bad moods. I believe in the waves wiping away worries. I believe in seashells bringing good luck. I believe in toes in the sand grounding my soul.” – Unknown
13. “Follow the river and you will find the sea.” – French Proverb
14. “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.” – Jacques Yves Cousteau
15. “A beach is not only a sweep of sand, but shells of sea creatures, the sea glass, the seaweed, the incongruous objects washed up by the ocean.” – Henry Grunwald
16. “Advice from the Ocean: Be shore of yourself. Come out of your shell. Take time to coast. Avoid pier pressure. Sea life’s beauty. Don’t get so tide down on work that you miss out on life’s beautiful waves.” – Unknown
17. “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
18. “Friends, sun, sand and sea. That sounds like a summer to me.” – Unknown
19. “The sea is an underwater museum still awaiting its visitors.” – Phillip Diole
20. “The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure.” – Cornelia Funke
21. “My soul is full of longing for the secret of the sea, and the heart of the great ocean sends a thrilling pulse through me.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
22. “You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.” – Rabindranath Tagore
23. “The sea appears all golden. Beneath the sun-lit sky.” – Heinrich Heine
24. “Is this chicken what I have, or is this fish? I know it’s tuna, but it says ‘Chicken of the Sea’.” – Jessica Simpson 🙂
25. “The sea does not link to be restrained.”- Rick Riordan
26. “At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much.” – Robin Lee Graham
27. “To me, the sea is a continual miracle; The fishes that swim–the rocks–the motion of the waves–the ships, with men in them, What stranger miracles are there?” – Walt Whitman
28. “Would you learn the secret of the sea? Only those who brave its dangers, comprehend its mystery!” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
29. “That the sea is one of the most beautiful and magnificent sights in Nature, all admit.” – John Joly
30. “At night, when the sky is full of stars and the sea is still you get the wonderful sensation that you are floating in space.” – Natalie Wood
31. “When anxious, uneasy and bad thoughts come, I go to the sea, and the sea drowns them out with its great wide sounds, cleanses me with its noise, and imposes a rhythm upon everything in me that is bewildered and confused.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
32. “To me, the sea is like a person like a child that I’ve known a long time. It sounds crazy, I know, but when I swim in the sea I talk to it. I never feel alone when I’m out there.” – Gertrude Ederle
33. “The sea pronounces something, over and over, in a hoarse whisper; I cannot quite make it out.” – Annie Dillard
34. “The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.” – Karen Blixen
35. “With every drop of water you drink, every breath you take, you’re connected to the sea. No matter where on Earth you live.” – Sylvia Earle
36. “And the sea will grant each man new hope, as sleep brings dreams of home.” – Larry Ferguson
37. “For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it’s always our self we find in the sea.” – E. E. Cummings
38. “The sea possesses a power over one’s moods that has the effect of a will. The sea can hypnotize. Nature in general can do so.” – Henrik Ibsen
39. “There’s nothing wrong with enjoying looking at the surface of the ocean itself, except that when you finally see what goes on underwater, you realize that you’ve been missing the whole point of the ocean. Staying on the surface all the time is like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the tent.” – Dave Barry
40. “The sea lives in every one of us.” – Robert Wyland
41. “She loves the serene brutality of the ocean, loves the electric power she felt with each breath of wet, briny air.” – Holly Black
42. “Why do we love the sea? It is because it has some potent power to make us think things we like to think.” – Robert Henri
43. “At the beach, life is different. Time doesn’t move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.” — Sandy Gingras
44. “Let the waves carry you where the light cannot” – Mohit Kaushik
45. “The calming movement of the sea along with the restless ocean breeze gently caresses me creating a soothing trance which lulls me to a place of peace.” – M. L. Borges, By The Sea
46. “But where, after all, would be the poetry of the sea were there no wild waves?” – Joshua Slocum
47. “The sea is as near as we come to another world.” – Anne Stevenson
48. “I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” – Anais Nin
49. “The waves of the sea help me get back to me.” – Jill Davis
50. “Life is as inexorable as the sea.” – Thomas Wentworth Higginson
51. “The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths, it has its pearls too.” – Vincent van Gogh
52. “Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away.” – Sarah Kay
53. “Rough seas make stronger sailors. Tough times build greater people.” – Robin Sharma
54. “The breaking of a wave cannot explain the whole sea.” – Vladimir Nabokov
55. “In still moments by the sea life seems large-drawn and simple. It is there we can see into ourselves.” –Rolf Edberg
Sea Captions for Instagram
56. “Meet me where the sky touches the sea.” – Jennifer Donnelly
57. Happier than a seagull with a French fry.
58. You are the only fish in the sea for me.
59. Sometimes in the waves of change we find our true direction.
60. Let the sea set you free.
61. High tides. Good vibes.
62. All I need is a good dose of vitamin sea.
63. If there’s a will there’s a wave.
64. Retirement Plan: Sell seashells by the seashore.
65. A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
66. Seas the day!
67. You, me and the sea.
68. Long time no sea .
69. Sea you soon!
70. I need to be seahabilitated.
71. Shell-abrate good times.
72. “We got no troubles, Life is the Bubbles, Under the Sea”– The Little Mermaid, “Under the Sea”
73. The sea calls to me.
74. Wild and free just like the sea.
75. Sea la vie!
76. “See the line where the sky meets the sea? It calls me. And no one knows, how far it goes.” – Moana, “How Far I’ll Go”
77. I was mermaid for this sea-sun.
78. Life is simple: just add water.
79. Me and the ocean: Love at first sight.
80. Thalassophile (n) A lover of the sea, someone who loves the sea/ocean.
Get a beautiful digital print on Etsy!
What were your favorite sea quotes and sea captions on this list? If you have your own favorite sea beach quotes, captions for the sea, sea breeze quotes, or seaside quotes, please share them in the comments below. And don’t forget to check out some of my other posts!
BONUS: if you’ve never used Airbnb, get a $40 credit by clicking here for a coupon!